The past week or so has been going pretty well. It started out with getting a new teacher for my historical phonology class - much to my chagrin. I REALLY like the first professor, he was super energetic, had interesting lectures and most importantly printed off all the notes so you had to write very little :D. This new one talks a mile a minute about boring (and I do mean boring - never has stress assignment change on english words been so ridiculously dull) so by the end of class your hand is cramping like hell and you wonder why on earth you took the class in the first place. LUCKILY some good did come out of this - we had a break in the middle of the class and i met a cool girl (Laura) and we commiserated over this awful ordeal. She invited me out for drinks at a pub a few days later, which was nice - I met a couple of her friends and we all ended up going back to her place for dinner (my 2nd one of the evening - but i wasn't complaining) which was delish. After, we pondered over the differences of british and american tv which was entertaining.
On thursday I went to archery club at 7 - i had never done anything like that before so I wanted to at least try. It was a bit repetitive at first, but i started getting the hang of it at the end and it started being more fun. I also noticed after that my wrist was bleeding from the bow slapping against it - it's odd that i wouldn't have noticed that during or anything. Apparently my wrist guard had slipped and it wasn't protecting the area it should be. Oh well. Battle scars to tell people about in the future.
Afterwards, I met Elysse and Corinne (some of my friends also doing this through Arcadia) at a pub in Grassmarket. Apparently someone had been buying them free drinks, so I was jealous and waited around for this mysterious drink-bearer to come again. Sadly, it didn't happen so I went up to the bar and got possibly the most american thing in the world (double jack and coke) and the woman at the bar cheerfully relayed the price to me - four pounds 10 pence. Now, I understand that imported jack isn't the cheapest thing, but this must have been double the price of the previous bars I had been to around here. THANKFULLY deus ex machina occurred and some irish guy next to me was like:
irish guy - "HEYYYYY!!! How you doin?!? have you found the crack yet?!?!"
me - "um..."
irish guy - "Are you voting for Hilary in the election???"
me - "uh..."
irish guy - "that's GREAT man, put er there"
(ridiculously long complicated handshake thing)
irish guy - "lemme get that drink for you!"
So, the day was saved and I ended up not looking like a poor college student who was the victim of the awful UK exchange rate. ANYWAY so our group merged with his group of three other guys and the night was spent talking about things such as: Dublin, Belfast, the amount of alcohol consumed in Dublin, the amount of alcohol consumed in Belfast, and a light hearted critique of Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I'm kidding about the last part - but they did seem to embrace the irish stereotype. ANYWAY drinking continued and we ended up at some goofy club - it appeared to be "Unfortunately-Dressed-Larger-Girls-Grinding-Up-On-Scared-Looking-Guys While-Playing Every-Fricken-Britney Spears-Song-That-Ever-Existed" night which ordinarily wouldn't be too wonderful but in our state it was amusing. Our new game this semester is "Third-Wheeling" which apparently means that you have to get as many pictures of you standing next to some drunk couple in a bar/club with a thumbs up sign. We got through 4 people when the couple realized what we were doing, but apparently they didn't care so that was nice.
BUT I need to go to bed - I'll talk about my trip to Glasgow later.
For now, here are some pictures I took of my apartment!!
My kitchen (notice the teeny tiny stove/oven)
"Common Area" - apparently a living room consists of a few chairs on the other side of the kitchen:
If you've ever wondered what a coffin feels like, try stepping in my shower:

Having two separate faucets gives you the choice of receiving second-degree burns or contracting hypothermia!

Finally, my sweet-ass room. I just redecorated with an awesome celtic knot tapestry. Still needs a few more posters, tho.


until later,
CP
3 comments:
I wanna try archery! I have to finish reading the entry. I got distracted by the pictures at the bottom (esp. of Chris avec sarcophagus).
I KNOW you're not complaining about Britney Spears.
p.s. I saved your blog under my bookmarks. I'm vicariously in Scotland now. Thanks, Chris!
-Brian
I get it "a wee dram" "a little shot of life in edinburgh"
PS everything you've ever heard about the irish is undoubtedly true
Post a Comment